Wednesday 22 July 2009

Eriksson takes job as Notts County toilet cleaner

Amongst the huge transfers taking place in the football world this summer, one deal has outdone them all. Notts County have appointed former England boss Sven Goran Eriksson to clean their latrines for the coming season. However, at his unveiling at the League Two club, Eriksson appeared to be a little confused at his role at the club. “I don’t think I will be cleaning any toilets at all. I am the director of football and my aim is to take this club into the Premiership.” Notts County chairman Peter Trembling was keen to puncture Eriksson’s enthusiasm. “The Premiership? You’ve got more chance of unblocking the U-bend in the gents. Speaking of which, here’s some gloves and a mop.” Asked about the financial risk that a big hitter like Eriksson brings, Trembling replied, "Yeah sure, he's got a some end-of contract pay out clause but you should see the shine he gets on that shower head."

The transfer is one in an increasing trend as the world recession bites into the corpulent and bloated flesh of football. Professionals previously at the top of their game now have to look for alternative employment as the cash dries up. Former Newcastle and Fulham boss Kevin Keegan is now learning to train seals at the Kings Lynn Water Park. “I’ve come here with a point to prove,” said Keegan. “People think that you can’t train seals to do much but I’ll tell you right now, I would love it, I would love it if Benji can jump through that hoop and eat the fish, I would love it.”

Back at Notts County, Eriksson has been immersing himself in his new duties. “I’ve got so much on here, it is really exciting. At first I was hoping to take charge of the football academy and oversee transfers. Then they told me that they had much more ambitious plans for me. Apparently the showers are backed up with huge lumps of hair and they need me to get in there and reach it all out.” Asked whether this was a step down in terms of his career, Eriksson replied, “It could be worse, I could be employed at Newcastle.”