Wednesday 15 July 2009

Cohen's next target: bad sitcoms and their fans

His latest movie was a groundbreaking tour de force, which seemed to suggest that people working in fashion might be a bit deluded. Now, for his next project, Sacha Baron Cohen will use his satirical might to skewer those who are happy to watch average sitcoms. Cohen will travel the country before going to America after running out of ideas. Industry insiders are predicting the film to be a huge hit on the grounds that Cohen “is a lot smarter than other people and boy does he know it.”

Some advance footage has already been leaked on the net and features a rip-roaring exchange between Cohen and Benidorm fan Betty Forrester. Forrester was duped into appearing after thinking she was appearing on a channel 4 documentary, The 100 Best Ever Sitcoms Based In A Well-Known Spanish Resort. “I thought it would be one of those things presented by Jimmy Carr,” said Forrester, “but I thought something was up when he kept saying how bad the show was. I said ‘It’s not great but I like it’ and he just burst out laughing and kept saying ‘But it’s so terrible and you still watch it, you’re so stupid.’ He wouldn’t stop until I was crying. At that point he said cut and walked away.”

Another of Cohen’s victims was Simon Beaton who talked about his love of the often-maligned Two Pints of Lager and A Packet Of Crisps. Beaton admits the programme is not a work of genius but regularly tunes in on account of identifying with the characters. “I told this to the guy interviewing me,” said Beaton, “and he started laughing so hard that he was having trouble breathing. When I said that I found the stories to include a good mixture of humour and pathos, he got to giggling so much that he was in quite some pain.” The release date for the film is not known as Cohen is determined to find someone who actually likes My Family, which most comedy viewers agree on as being utter toilet.